Thursday, February 12, 2009

Message from Matt Howard!!

Sophomore forward Matt Howard has graced this blog with his words. Below are some thoughts on the team's recent developments that he sent me to publish for all of you...enjoy!!

It's great to be back at the friendly confines of Hinkle Fieldhouse after what seems like a very long road trip. The only nice thing about the roadtrips are the comfortable beds at the hotels. I must say they are much better than the thing I sleep on at school! I think everybody but Gordon [Hayward] would rather play at home (if you look at his road stats, you may understand). It's always great to have the support and also the familiar surroundings to help us.

The past week has been something else, though. It seems like from the two times I've played in Detroit, that nothing "good" has come from playing there, regardless of their record. This year, we had another tough game and lost Shawn [Vanzant], or the "BTP" as he is called by some, to injury. But it did feel great to leave Wright State on Saturday with a solid win. I still haven't forgotten the feeling I had from leaving there with a loss last year. I knew it meant something more to last year's seniors than just our first loss of the year because of the history there. Games that are considered rivalries and feel like that because of the atmosphere and way people talk about them really do mean a litlle more emotionally.

On a different note, I think everyone has put last Monday's game [at Green Bay] in the past and decided that while there were lessons to be learned, such as not fouling so much (of course talking to myself more than anyone else), it is better to take a motivated mindset into our future games. Teams rarely go undefeated in conference, and so the goal is to make sure that after a loss, you don't compile it with back-to-back losses. That is where conference titles are lost.

This weekend brings some different and unique challenges for us. UIC likes to zone with their big frontcourt and see if we can hit shots, and Loyola has a lot of talent offensively. I think my goal for the weekend is to play as hard as normal without picking up the cheap fouls. I know Coach Stevens would appreciate it and may be surprised as well if I do that!

-Matt, #54

Thanks for the message, Matt. The men's team plays at home this Friday (ESPNU) & Sunday. The women's team is on the road Thurs. night and Sat. afternoon. Try to keep up with all the basketball action...Go Dawgs!!

No comments: