Saturday, March 22, 2008

Birmingham: The City

The NCAA assigns each to a hotel. Butler was assigned to the Wynfrey hotel, rated 4 diamonds by AAA, in one of Birmingham's suburbs. The hotel is located in a retail area. The hotel is connected to the main shopping mall in this part of town. The mall is average sized, but some stores have 2 locations. There are additional restaurants around the hotel/mall including Olive Garden and California Pizza Kitchen. At last year's first and second round site in Buffalo, NY there was absolutely nothing around the hotel which was also in a suburban area.

The cheerleading coach arranged a trip to the Birmingham Zoo for the band and cheerleaders. The zoo is located in a suburban area in the woods which gave the feeling it is away from everything. It is smaller than other zoos I have been to, but it was a nice way to get out of the hotel.

The weather here has been awesome. The sun has been out and the high has been in the low 70s. Due to the clear sky at night the lows are in the upper 40s to low 50s. Many people here are getting a slight tan. I am not getting used to it because I have heard that it is cold and snowy in Indiana.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm a Birmingham resident and I just want to say how awesome everyone I met from Butler was. We actually started Friday night hanging out with people from St. Joseph's, but quickly realized the Butler fans were much cooler.

Needless to say, I'm now a Bulldog fan. However, I was taught one cheer that for reasons that don't need to be mentioned, I don't remember it. I know it was something like this:

B-U ... T-L-E ... R- forgot the rest.

I was hoping for some help. Either way, go Dogs!