Monday, March 3, 2008

Looking past Horizon League Tournament....

I know it is a little early to think about NCAA Tournament games (but not much) but right now, I have high hopes for both teams...more specifically, the men I know are going to win the Horizon League Championship. If they play like they did in the Detroit game, having something to play for and with a lot of passion, they will blow that game out of the water. But anyway, back to the point, who does everything think we are going to be matched with in the first round of the NCAA tournament? I am still holding onto to the dream that Vanderbilt and Butler will play each other, I really want to know who is better (and in case your wondering, I will cheer for both sides but I really want Butler to win). I still love Vandy, don't worry Josh, I will always love them. Give me some feedback though, who does everyone want to see us play, what seed should we or are we going to get? How far do you think we'll go? I know this is early to think about it, but still, I am pumped for March Madness! The ultimate question, who will be the NCAA Champion this year? (pretty sure it won't be Florida). My bet is on....mmmmmh, Memphis.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd love to see us play Notre Dame. A Matt Howard/Luke Harangody match up would be fun to watch. It would be by far Howard's biggest challenge to date. Overall, I'm confident the Dawgs could defeat the Irish!

Anonymous said...

Agreed. I would love to see us play ND, mostly because I'd like to see us beat the crap out of them. But I'd also love to see us play any of the other in-state rivals. And I will forever hold out secretly hoping that we play Texas A&M. There is really no way we'd play them at any other time than the tournament. I want to beat up on them too.

Actually, bottom line: I want to see us play some big name schools and beat them, cause some upsets, and really make a wave. And my prediction is that we'll win at least the first round. From there, my guess is as good as anyone's.

Josh Arntz said...

We'll play some big name schools all right, but we're not exactly an upset team this year... No. 8 in the country at one point, and ranked nearly every week... as long as we win the HL tourney I think we'll get a very good seed.

We've beaten teams from power conferences -- doesn't matter if they weren't good, we can compete in those conferences -- and we've dominated our conference thus far.

So, I've heard rumors of a No. 3 or 4 seed, which I think will be the highest seed that we can get this year, and a great seed for us to have. If we lose our HL tourney, I think we probably drop to a No. 6 or 7 seed. We didn't win the HL last year and we were still a No. 5, but that was with a very impressive resume.

Whatever seed we get, we can't forget that the 63 other teams are just as good as we are... we'll be playing some of the best talent in the country. So, be wary of a possible upset of our talented team. Don't look past anyone. In fact if we get a high seed, you can bet that everyone will pick us for the upset game.

I don't even want to guess who we'll play... it could be anyone. I don't want to play Vandy until the Final Four. I'd love to beat any other in-state team to shut them up about the best in this state. So bring on whoever.

As far as my national champ pick, I think Kansas and Memphis play at a very fast tempo that is very hard to match and even harder to beat when trailing by 10 or more at any point in the game... the same with Tennessee. I doubt UNC will advance to the Final Four, as much as I like the Tar Heels, they just don't play good defense. Duke could advance very far, but I don't think they're a contender. If you're tying my arm, then I go with Kansas.

No matter what, we HAVE to win the HL tourney to get a good seed. So go Dawgs.