Saturday, March 1, 2008

Finally...

... the Dawgs put a smack down on an HL team and returned to the form that we saw after the Great Alaska Shootout.

The Dawgs shot 41 percent from behind the arc with 12 3-pointers, while completely dominating the last-place Detroit Titans.

What made the win even more special was that the team shined on Senior Day in Hinkle. I can't even begin to explain how much these five guys have given us. Looking back on my first two years here, I always knew that we could be a good team, seeing how we advanced to the Sweet 16 in 2003. But we couldn't rise to another level to emerge at the top of the Horizon League in those first two years.

I've seen a lot of great Butler players in my four years at BU -- Bruce Horan, Avery Sheets, Brandon Polk and Brandon Crone. But our guys this year have really taken us on a special journey. I thought we could be good, but I would never have guessed that we'd be as good as a 2007 Sweet 16 team and now a record setting 2007-08 team.

These guys have pushed further and risen higher than I think most of us would have ever expected, and they've given us so much joy, fun and excitement over the past two years. There's also been heartbreak. We've lost some crushing games, and said 'goodbye' to some of our favorite players -- Crone, Brian Ligon and Marcus Nellums. But, our seniors this year have carried on our dream and it's really been an incredible ride to this point.

Through it all, we've had A.J. Graves along with us -- all of us seniors who've been here, just not on the basketball team -- for the entire ride. He was so much fun to watch as a freshman, but I'll bet most of us, myself included, didn't realize how good he was going to be. He's defied gravity and the realm of the imagination with the incredible shots and plays that he's pulled out of his back pocket just when the team's needed him the most. I can't explain to him how much fun he's been to watch.

What about Julian Betko, Pete Campbell and Mike Green -- they've been God-sends. I'm very confident in saying that we'd never have made it to the Sweet 16 or to 27 wins this season without these three guys. Green has elevated this basketball team to a new level of competition with his abilities to play and lead the offense. Betko is undeniably one of the most important leaders on this team, and has stepped up in so many games to provide the lift that we've needed. Campbell -- without his shooting Graves would get the double team every game. He has one of the purest shots I've ever seen, and it's been amazing to watch him knock down three and four 3-pointers in a row.

Last but certainly not the least, Drew Streicher. Drew, you have to know that every Bulldog fan out there loves you. You are the true underdog story that gives everyone hope that we can achieve our own dreams. Walking on as a freshman, you worked your way into the starting five and have proved to be one of the most vital role players. Without your defense, assists, rebounding and basketball knowledge we'd not be 27-3 today. Of course we want you to shoot and score more, but you've proven to be one of the most unselfish and key components of this team. You get lost in the shadow of Graves and Green, but you've also been here every day with me for the past four years, and it's been incredible to watch you rise right along with this team.

So, on behalf of the entire Bulldog nation, I want to thank you guys so much for making us one of the elite teams in the country -- giving way to the nature and attitude of our fans, that so many outside of our circle have to come to hate and fail to understand. Thank you for giving us reasons to scream hysterically and brag with glory, while having one of the most fun and exciting experiences of our college careers.

Thank you guys for everything. We're with you all the way, no matter what, and you'll always hold a special place in our hearts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm not going to lie: I got teary-eyed watching these guys for the last time live today. They don't know it, and I don't even know them personally, but they have done so much for my college experience. I had no school spirit as a freshman until they did what they did last year. Suddenly, people back home had heard of Butler, and, suddenly, I had a reason to cheer about being a Butler student. They instilled a love for Butler within me and created half of the wonderful nights I have had since being in college. I love to watch them play and I have loved bragging about our big boys from the small school. I wish I could tell them personally, but I really do thank them, and I couldn't be prouder.