Sunday, December 2, 2007

Greatest game I've ever been to


Wow. If you didn't make it to the Butler/OSU game, I'm sorry. You missed out on the craziest and most fun thing that I've ever been to in my four years at Butler.

BU 65 OSU 46

Where do I start? How about here. The Bulldogs haven't beaten Ohio State since 1978. Tonight's game marks the first time a Big Ten opponent has played the men's team in Hinkle since 1993. The Buckeyes own the series at 30-8. Former Butler basketball player (1988-90) and head coach (2000-01) Thad Matta returned to Hinkle against Butler's head coach Brad Stevens, who Matta hired as director of basketball operations. Ohio State ended last season in the NCAA tournament championship game. The Buckeyes' started three players from last year's team, and a 7-footer, who was runner up in last year's Mr. Basketball in Ohio and could play for the Greek national team, and the Mr. Basketball in Ohio. The Bulldogs just played their first game in a week since winning the Great Alaska Shootout with a record-setting 47 three pointers in three games. The Dawgs entered the game ranked No. 16 in the AP and started five seniors from last season's Sweet 16 team.

All this being said, I think you can see why I and so many were so excited for this game. I knew that I'd see two of the best teams in the country on my home court with 1,000s of beautiful Butler fans surrounding me. I knew that Butler had a great team and could play with the best in the country. But, I didn't know if they could beat Thad Matta and his tall and talented Buckeyes.

Brad Stevens and crew, especially Mike Green who posts things for us, please forgive me!

But, you had me scared in the first half. The Dawgs looked, in a word, atrocious in the first half. The three-point shooting was ridiculous. The only three made was at the buzzer going into halftime!! What the hell. I know what it was. They wanted Matt Howard to prove how valuable he is to this team and set the stage for one of the greatest second half comebacks I've ever witnessed.

I don't know how to do this game justice, because there was so much emotion and desire and excitement and terror and complete joy. I remember thinking at one point, "this is what college basketball should be." Not a one year sentence time for 18 and 19-year-olds before the NBA. Not the millions of dollars poured into public universities to provide a level competition that many schools could never hope to achieve. This game was a true contest against great teams, and the levels of talent and amounts of money didn't matter.

There truly is a Butler Way, and I saw it tonight. I think that what I saw was a group of individuals so closely connected, well coached and confident in each other and themselves that they were able to out score a taller, more "talented" and better funded team 45-16 in the second half.

I'm rambling. Bottomline, the Bulldogs kicked ass and didn't even play their best game of the season. Matt Howard carried us through the game, and this was only his seventh game as a Dawg!! Somehow, they found a way to shut down the Buckeye offense, granted that offense has been pretty bad for the past three games against ranked opponents. Graves and Green didn't have good first halves, but they did what they always do in the second half... school opponents on the dribble and from beyond the arc.

I can't put this game into words. If you were there, you know. And if you weren't, that sucks. Bring on Detroit. And Wright State, we're coming for you.

Picture: Julian Betko had a steal in the first possession of the second half that coach Brad Stevens said started the Bulldogs' off on the right foot to turn the game around. Photo courtesy of Liz Goerlitz

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a lot of homework to do so instead of waiting in line I got a chance to do it. but luckily some of my fraternity brothers had ESPNU at their house. Go Dawgs!

Anonymous said...

Last night was the sort of night that you remember when you graduate from college. It was the most fun I have had yet here at Butler through a year and a half of my college experience. I have always dreamed of being a part of such an experience and, you're right, words just can't do it justice. I had a blast. The atmosphere was amazing. It's nights like last night that really fill you with an overwhelming sense of school pride. For me, it wasn't just a game, it was the community and the memory that I can now take with me. It wouldn't have been the same if it hadn't been at Hinkle.